Unable to boot EmuELEC 4.5 on Phicomm N1(S905D)

EmuELEC 4.5 has been released. I am excited and look forward to running it on my Phicomm N1(S905D) box.

I flashed the img into a USB disk and tried to boot EmuELEC 4.5 from USB on my Phicomm N1(S905D) box. Unfortunately, however, I found it’s unable to boot, even if I replaced the files(dtb.img, aml_autoscript and others) with some patch packages downloaded from Internet, which work well on older EmuELEC versions like 4.3 but fail on 4.5.

So I am asking is there any way to boot EmuELEC 4.5 on Phicomm N1(S905D)?

Emuelec does not support s905 after version 4.3. It only supports s905x2, X3 and s922 chips.

No, that’s not true. Please check out the official NOTE:

IMPORTANT: S905 (GXBB, p201) for the moment is no longer supported. If you have one of those devices (s905 no letter after the 5) DO NOT UPDATE, stay in 4.3.

So s905D is supported.

So, which emuelec new system s905x supports?

I don’t know much about s905x.
From the official NOTE, only s905 is no longer supported, but others are still supported.

ninja is right, theoretically the only incompatible device in 4.4/4.5 would be S905(no letter).

shortly after release the developer posted: "Seeing how bad v4.4 and v4.5 have been for some older devices, I’ve decided to go back to the old 3.14 kernel for these devices (older devices means s905, s905x, s905 (any letter here) but NOT s905x2, s905x3, s922x/a311d)

However, there are things to keep in mind.

1. this is a VERY OLD kernel, so don’t expect new drivers or driver fixes, if it doesn’t work for your device, there’s nothing to do, unless you want to waste time porting a driver (which I won’t ).
  2. Some emulators will be older versions for the same reason and won’t update (eg n64)
  3. Most likely the ports also suffer and some don’t even work.
  4. You still have the option to run “amlogic-ng” but they are not compatible (updates will not work between them)
  5. If your device is running Android 9 (I think?) and above, you will probably need to downgrade.

Please don’t ask me to fix or update emulator related issues (eg game running slow, game x not working, etc.), drivers or anything kernel related with this “old Amlogic” version.

It took me a few days to finish it, but I don’t have time to test it properly anymore, so if anyone wants to help with the tests (and I mean really test, not just boot up, but also give feedback), let me know and I’ll send you a link. private. If all goes well, a new project called “Amlogic-old” will replace the old “Amlogic”."

once read this S905D should be compatible with 4.4&4.5 (new kernel)using dtb p230/231 variants,BUT a soc very close to s905,even if booting it might have some problems. i would stay on 4.3 and wait if new release for “amlogic old” is possible soon

So your suggestion to an S905D user like me would be staying on EmuELEC 4.3 until better version released in future ?

exactly. just a recommendation based on my experience with 4.4/5 on s905w/x devices, not to say don’t try. your s905d should be compatible. you choose. but if you can’t even boot 4.5 maybe you should wait and stay on 4.3 for now

1、Download the official EmuELEC-Amlogic-ng.aarch64-4.5-Generic.img.gz and flash it into the u disk

2, download the patch,unzip, put the files inside into the root directory of the EMUELEC partition, if there is a file with the same name overwrite it

Actually, I did exactly what you said.

I flashed EmuELEC-Amlogic-ng.aarch64-4.5-Generic.img.gz into a USB disk and copied the files in your patches to the first partition, and successfully runned it.

Then I tried to switch between Android TV (installed in N1 box) and EmuELEC(installled in a USB disk). It works if I switch from EmuELEC to Android TV by running REBOOT FROM NAND , but it doesn’t work if switch back from Android TV to EmuELEC by running LibreELEC.

My television looks like this:

I guess maybe command

REBOOT FROM NAND

changed something in EmuELEC ?