Support for S905x4

Reads this, and tell me that “The reciprocal is true.” you are the one that is taking everything out of context and claiming it to be true. But I guess whatever makes you feel better you do you :slight_smile:

The fact is that CE is NOT dead. S905x4 is NOT CE and it is clearly not the end of CE because of it.

Okay. I’ll let it go. I cheer for the success of CE and EmuELEC. Good luck!

I know that you are serious. But I said “the developer” is joking when he said " the end of CoreELEC", not you. Can’t you read that CoreELEC Team don’t want to discuss support for S905X4? They don’t want to discuss it because as long as the source code is not available, it is impossible to support. Any discussion is futile.

CoreELEC just added S905X4 support to 20 and backported it to 19 last month (dev branches). AV1 hwdecode is achieved and many more features are available.

However the dtb support is limited. Only those OEMs willing to cooperate has their native dts checked and included such as BeeLink. Some cheap boxes like HK1 Rbox X4 is not 100% supported due to this. I bought one of this box and it delivered today. I’ll try to port the dtb in a more complex way since no one can get in touch with the vendor. (4000+lines of decompiled dts, without include so everything must be figured out in a much harder way, time-consuming but I did this with Xiaomi’s MDZ-16-AA in April so it is possible). I would then submit the reverse-engineerd dts.

But you should not expect EE’s support of S905X4 soon, not before a stable CE 19.5 with S905X4 support. Especially with such a box.

The news is excellent! I hope that it is possible to use CE both in Beelink and in other top box sets, such as Ugoos and Mecool. These brands make products that don’t give the user work. And I also hope that you are successful in your endeavor.

And I also hope that in the near future we will have EmuELEC for devices with S905X4.

Thanks for the information.

Right after the launch on 07/08/22 I installed and configured the 4.6 test version on the Vontar HK1 RBOX TV box, SoC S905X4.

Today I tested it and it worked very well.

I was surprised how well it performed on Atomiswave, Dreamcast, Naomi, Saturn, 3DO, N64, etc.

I am aware that the image is a test and that it will probably still be improved and maybe fixed, but from the little I tested I consider the performance to be excellent.

There were no failures in my tests, but I repeat that they were not exhaustive.

I didn’t try to use the dtb’s that come with the image, because I didn’t find any equivalent to my tv box.

I used one of the ones made available on the CoreELEC forum and which is found in the CoreELEC night image, 19.5 Matrix (sc2_s905x4_4g).

Too bad the image didn’t work on my TV box with SoC RockChip (X88 Pro 20 – RK3166). Maybe the boot loader is blocked. I will try again another day.

Thanks to the EmuELEC developer and the CoreELEC team for making such a good system available.

I always warned users not to buy tv box with SoC S905X4 for use in EmuELEC and CoreELEC. I even said this in several places, forums, Discords, comments on You Tube videos. I wanted to prevent anyone from purchasing for exclusive use at EmuELEC and getting frustrated.

Even though I’m not a youtuber, last year I published a video on You Tube warning about the subject.

Now it’s the opposite, I’m spreading the news and published a new video. It’s a very simple video, without much editing, showing the installation and operation of some games.

CoreELEC and EmuELEC’s Amlogic images won’t work on Rockchip devices. There’re Rockchip images in 4.6 test releases but none of them are made for generic devices. The one seemed generic, rk356x, is just for Firefly M2 and P2 only

I had gotten carried away and hadn’t understood correctly. It is a pity! Thanks for the information. I admire your technical knowledge.

I’m using the 4.6 test on an X96 Max+ Ultra with 4GB RAM.

I stole the .dtb out of Coreelec because the one that was included in the Emuelec test version was just bootlooping.

Couple of problems:

Wifi wasn’t working, so I had to go wired (not the end of the world, but not ideal for my use case).

The bigger problem is that all text is gone after quitting a game:

This is the same with any theme. Any advice?

This is a bug with setres.sh the fix is as follows, login to SSH and type:

cp /usr/bin/setres.sh /emuelec/bin/setres.sh

Run this line to comment out the fb setting of fb1:

sed -i 's|fbset -fb /dev/fb1|#fbset -fb /dev/fb1|g' /emuelec/bin/setres.sh

Reboot.

2 Likes

Thank you! Seems to have fixed things.

What’s the state of S905X4 support ? There hasn’t been a release in almost a year.

Trying to get EmuElec running on a Homatics 4k box.

Are there nightly builds somewhere ?

The initial test support was already introduced in 4.6-TEST-07082022 in July, 2022, and later came to the formal v4.6 release in Dec, 2022.

Could it run? It could run on S905X4 already for over a year.

Is it supported? No, no one in the team actual has a X4 device lying around to do enough tests and do support.

2 Likes