How to Update from 4.2 to latest 4.5

Hi,
I’ve a perfectly working 4.2 EMUELEC running on a TUREWELL Android Box, T95 MAX+ and I was thinking to update to the latest version. Update is enabled (Stable) on the menu, but there is not update available when I try.

1. Which is the right procedure to update? Do I need to force the update? Just in case, I did an SD clone with clonezilla.
  2. Are there any advantages to update to 4.5 for a not really expert user? or better to not risk?

If you are happy with 4.2 I would recommend just staying there unless you know there is something you really want from 4.5.

That said, Read how to update here How to update · EmuELEC/EmuELEC Wiki (github.com)

1 Like

I would like to update anyway, I still have a clone just in case something goes wrong.

the only thing I don’t remember very well after about 1 year is which file I used in the first install:

EmuELEC-Amlogic-ng.aarch64-4.5.tar

is this the right one to update directly to SD?

It is a TV Box Amlogic S905X3 Quad-core cortex-A55 4GB RAM - 32GB ROM.

I know those questions are a little bit annoying because of those cheap units but a little help is appreciated anyway. :smiley:

Yes, that’s the correct update tarboll for S905X3

1 Like

Thanks I’ll try soon!
have a great week.

I just updated to 4.5 and everything works fine.
Just one thing, there is a warning or error when booting on splash screen but it seems to not affect funcionality:

Failed to start setup user config dir

it doesn’t slow down booting and everything works fine, is it possible to fix this error?
What does exactly mean?

That service needs to copy ALL files/dirs not set by users from /usr/config to /storage/.config, and there’s maybe differences between the two versions so some configs can’t be properly parsed. You can compare the contents of these two folders and try to adapt your old configs if you think that warning is annoying

But, the failure of that service does not mean break of EE. It’s just that some default configs won’t be applied and the existing configs will be used. So you can simply ignore that.

1 Like

Thanks @7Ji, is it possible to delete old config file and, if needed, reconfigure the new one when necessary?

I thought you want to keep old configs?
If you want a soft-reset, ssh to the box and:

systemctl stop emustation
rm -rf /storage/.config
sync
reboot

Replace /storage/.config to the corresponding configs you want to reset if you just want to reset part of them

You can get what configs can’t be updated by checking the journal of userconfig.service
Either (latest couple of lines)

systemctl status userconfig.servixe

Or (whole log from bootup, navigate like VIM)

journalctl -u userconfig.service

Or if you want a hard-reset, connect the card to another Linux machine and reformat the second partition (STORAGE)

mkfs.ext4 -m 0 -L STORAGE /dev/mmcblk0p2

Replace mmcblk0p2 with the correct one on your machine

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s a lot of info, I think I’m going to keep it as it is, don’t really have a knowledge that level.