Roms are being moved to roms_backup on Restart

Didn’t know about that, might be useful to a lot of people, thanks for the info!

My external hard disk is NTFS format with volume label EEROMS. The files in the hard disk meet the roms format required by emuelec.

Does your script recognize that the game requires the format of the hard disk? What is the format of the external hard disk you put roms in.

Can you do this? My external hard disk, volume label eeroms, hard disk NTFS or FAT32 format, hard disk establishes ROMs folder, and all kinds of games are placed in the directory. Edit a script or configuration file to directly mount the hard disk roms to storage / roms. After all, I’m going to use this device to play simulation games.oh By the way, it uses emuelec v4 .3.

Not at all, the script isn’t that “smart”, I’m not so wise when dealing with HDD formats.

Just to be sure, is your Emuelec booting from a PenDrive/SD Card or from internal storage (emmc)?

If you have all the roms on a USB drive and in the root a roms folder. In /storage/.config/custom_start.sh

#!/bin/sh

# SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0-or-later
# Copyright (C) 2019-present Shanti Gilbert (https://github.com/shantigilbert)

# Source predefined functions and variables
. /etc/profile

# Place any scripts you need to run at boot on this file

case "${1}" in
"before")

# ADD THE FOLLOWING:
# unmount the child mounts and its parent roms.
umount /storage/roms/ports_scripts
umount /storage/roms
# add a symbolic link to a usb roms folder.
ln -nsf /media/USB/roms/* /storage/roms

should link the roms in the storage to the USB roms.

Oh yeah and if you need to revert it, remove those added lines in custom_start. and in SSH do

rm /storage/roms/*

Will remove all the symbolic links and reboot your device so the roms can remount like it defaults. Be careful you only want to remove the symlinks not the actual directories!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help. I’ll try it sometime.

I tried your script but failed. It may have something to do with my device. Can I have your email? I send you some videos and files to help me analyze.

Try executing each line one at a time in just SSH, and replying the output if there is an error.

This is a bug in mount_romfs.sh

I’m re-writing the script to properly support the situation where roms is a plain directory instead of mounted from partition EEROMS

Are you considering the option to scan roms from both external and internal storage? Or just one of them?

I checked that in this [commit] emuelec-emulationstation: Add external mount options · EmuELEC/EmuELEC@9b0059c · GitHub) it will check for external drives and ignore internal roms. I’d like to know if my script (of creating symlinks from internal to external for individual roms/consoles) would still work

Thank you. I’m looking forward to your script file.

It does not ignore internal, internal is default, so if no external ROMS are available then the default kicks in which is internal, if you are asking if they are both going to be used at the same time, then no, only one at the same time.

Actually on 4.4, even if there are roms in the internal drive, they get moved to roms_backup UNLESS it has a “emuelecroms” file, so there’s no clean update from 4.3 to 4.4, but we made it work after all, and even got a custom script to merge internal and external roms with symlinks ^^

No, your issue is/was because of an unsupported feature (installation to internal emmc memory) sure you made it work, but it is still unsupported. What 7ji is doing is updating this script to make it work also with internal installations (we are talking about 2 things, internal installation and internal ROMS which I meant as any ROMS folder in a SD installation), but it will still NOT make both work (as this is not possible without getting into mounting overlays and stuff I rather not include officially), it will only work for one or the other (meaning the ROMS folder on the installation either in SD or emmc, or external as USB pen drives), but the “backup” folder will no longer get created (well when the script gets updated)

1 Like

This should be fixed by mount_romfs.sh: rewrite to properly support 2-partition layout (#942) · EmuELEC/EmuELEC@100c9b2 · GitHub now, but note that mix of internal and external roms is still not supported by the rewritten script itself.
Personally I don’t care about internal storage when I have external roms, since the roms drive is way larger, and keeping all roms on one dedicated drive ease the pain of migration of roms when you reburn the image. And man I just reburn the image multiple times a day to do tests, so I really like the bootup drive + roms drive style.

1 Like

I totally agree, the idea of mounting from multiple drives at the same time is more of a custom thing I’m trying to use with a friend rather than what a default feature should be, especially looking at the Emuelec’s plug-and-play concept.

I’m glad there’s someone checking on how the drives are scanned anyway, so that in the future I might play around with some custom_scripts for myself.

Thanks for showing us the commit ^^

If your mixing with usb and roms partition you might be better off changing es_systems.cfg directories individually for the systems that require much larger space and the usb. But yeah if you do an upgrade you might have to change it again.

That would not be a good idea…

1 Like