Controller profile issue with standalone cores 4.5

Well that was a fun attempt! Latest Ubuntu was unresponsive in virtual box so went to an older version which gave me hassle trying to install the git package. Finally landed on 18.04 i think which, eventually worked, 10gb hdd allocation ended up exceeded so started again with 20gb and after getting 90/547? tasks complete the build image stopped with an error, possibly due to hdd size again.
Is it usually painfully slow building an image? Like 3 hours to get 90 tasks in…
I gave 128mb video, 3.5gb ram in settings, my laptop cpu wasnt going above 13%.
A few nights of frustration here!

The build directory will take at least 75 GB so you need to allocate at least 128GB for the VM

First build is always slow but shouldn’t take this long to make less than 100 packages

Allocate more cores to VM, a number equal to (with hyperthread) or 1 less than (without hyperthread) cores count is suggested. So if your CPU is 4 cores 8 threads, then 4 to 7 is OK, in which 4 is already good enough but 7 can push it to its limit ( Windows will probably not function that well) ; if your CPU is 4 cores 4 threads, then 3 is the maximum you can go

Video ram has nothing to do with build speed. In fact you better turn off GUI completely and use Ubuntu Server and SSH to connect and control if you want the maximum build speed, since the default desktop environment GNOME is notoriously resource-heavy.

Hi 7Ji and thank you for your reply, I would never have imagined it requiring so much space to build a 900mb file! Also, your advice about setting the cores made a huge improvement, I set it at 7 and my CPU was running around 87-90% and processing the tasks much faster, after around an hour I had cleared 100 and left it to run while I went to bed. Came down in the morning to find that it had failed at 193/547 :frowning:

I think I saw a notification pop down from the top of the screen about only having 1.1gb remaining but it disappeared too quickly to be sure. I allocated 140gb just to give a little more headroom than what you suggested, surely that should be enough? I get the impression it wants 300+ gb to make it successfully build?

URL of nfs-utils is outdated and 404, you need to git pull first as it’s already fixed in dev branch

128gb is enough, that pop-up might was due to memory not enough, not disk space

Everytime ive tried this ive used the git checkout dev and it always comes back saying the branch is up to date.
Adding git pull command says already up to date. I feel if i try this again I’ll still have the same issue as apparently nothing has changed…?

Also, i guess if i eventually get this working with the pull request implemented, when updates come out, unless they have been included, it will be overwritten and I’ll have to do this again?

NFS-utils uses sourceforge to deliver archives and sourceforge has many different CDNs that have different accessibility according to user’s location. It was updated to netix in upstream CoreELEC as that works for the maintainer vpeter, yet seems netix does not work for you. You might need to modify
packages/network/nfs-utils/package.mk
Change the first part of the line PKG_URL from netix to the one you would get by downloading nfs-utils from https://sourceforge.net/projects/nfs/files/nfs-utils/2.6.1/nfs-utils-2.6.1.tar.gz/download, for me it is jaist

1 Like

You certainly know what to do!
I made it to 515/551 and my laptop was found in hibernate with the power cord half out, can only assume one of the cats found the light interesting, again!
Will run it again tomorrow and might actually get this nailed…

Many thanks for your help!

So i officially give up with trying to build the image. It nearly finished and had an error on one thing, tried again and it only made it half way and error repeatedly on pulseaudio.

Im going back to using wired connection, i have no issues that way.

Also, i have only just noticed but with both ps3 controls attached by bluetooth, the red icon at the top left of the screen has also switched when receiving input, makes me think this isnt anything to do with standalone cores and more related to something with the bluetooth?

Spent a long time trying to get this change implemented but its a fail from me :disappointed:

This issue is fixed in the latest Beta version.

Much appreciated!

@kallabungo Hello,
Do you mean the version with this change?

4.6-TEST-07082022

I am not sure if that change was included but the controllers now work on bluetooth and wired as expected.

1 Like