Suggestions thread

I purchased a craptastic android box off of amazon and it won’t boot. I know, I know, like a ton of other people. One place I found something extremely helpful was in the CoreElec page where they listed all the possible ways to get a device to boot. Perhaps this should be stickied somewhere?

The methods are as follows:

To boot the system for the first time you have to use one from the following methods, sometimes only one of these methods will work!

• Khadas VIM : insert the CoreELEC prepared SD card and boot into Upgrade Mode, CoreELEC will start automatically: Howto Boot Into Upgrade Mode - Khadas
  • MINIX U1 / U9 : insert the CoreELEC prepared SD card, plug in the power cord, then hold in power button for at least 6 seconds or until the CoreELEC logo appears.
  • Terminal Emulator : boot into Android, insert the CoreELEC prepared SD / USB, install Terminal Emulator app (either from Google Play or APKMirror), run it and type reboot update . Your device should reboot into CoreELEC.
  • Toothpick method : Disconnect the power supply, insert the CoreELEC prepared SD / USB, push and hold the reset button and reconnect the power, wait until CoreELEC logo appears and release the button.
  • Menu Button method (works with very few devices): disconnect the power supply, insert the CoreELEC prepared SD / USB, push the menu button on your remote control and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until the CoreELEC logo appears and release the button.
  • Recovery method : Boot into Android, insert the CoreELEC prepared SD / USB and choose Reboot to recovery . Your device should boot into CoreELEC.
  • Recovery method (2nd variant) : If you have the Update app pre-installed in Android, open it, insert the CoreELEC prepared SD / USB and choose any ZIP file displayed in the app as an update. Your device should reboot into CoreELEC.
  • Recovery method (3rd variant) : enable ADB (Google it) and issue adb reboot update command on your computer.

Thank you, although you mentioned LibreELEC and linked to CoreELEC.

We have a fairly complete how to install instructions on the WiKi https://github.com/EmuELEC/EmuELEC/wiki/How-to-Install and on video on YouTube How to Install EmuELEC - Official Tutorial - YouTube

But adding that link to the WiKi is a good idea. Thanks for pointing it out

LOL - my bad, I meant to say coreElec. Yes, the directions here are really well done, I only noticed this because, well, that’s where I’m stuck because I’m a dummy and I bought something based on the promises of a youtube video. :grinning:

So my device shipped with root enabled. So I assume that there must be some way to get it to boot from an SD card? Toothpick and the libreElec app have not worked. I’ll try the terminal methods tonight.

Please open a new thread if you need help with that :slight_smile:

@weirdzod hotkey + start is the default to exit in retroarch.

Suggestion: Add Redream Emulator to the Add-ons.

Adding the latest mame version (or at least 0.220) would be great (like in Retropie) in order to play the real Game&Watch games rather than just the simulated mgw ones, as a lot of popular games are missing there.

1 Like

Closed source, and not available for AARCH64/fbdev. Ask the redream developers :slight_smile:

in batocera there is an option to press F1 on the keyboard
and by that you get in the real application and change some settings inside
it can be nice to add it if possible

P.S
love EMUELEC
Keep up your good work :+1:

MAME would be a great addition, since AdvMame the project hasnt been updated in over 3.5 years now, and looks like it’s kinda gone stagnant.

We have been paying close attention to the emuelec system. We sincerely hope it will get better and better. Recently, I came into contact with botacera system, and I think this system is also very good. I hope these features and options are worth learning. I hope the host can adopt it.
First, add romstorage options. In this way, you can selectively mount the hard disk with rom.
Second, adding the core of the game can be simpler and more convenient. For example, if you directly select the required core, the system will automatically copy or move the core to the storage location of the core.
Third, PS games can automatically select the corresponding BIOS files for different games. For example, modified games or Chinese games need special BIOS files to run perfectly.
Fourth, the automatic mapping of the game controller, such as the game controller automatically mapped to retroarch and independent simulator set in the emulationstation. This eliminates the need for all simulators to set up game controllers separately.
This is my thoughts and suggestions for emuelec. Thank you for your hard work to emuelec. I hope more people can participate in the improvement of emuelec system.

Sorry, maybe I didn’t make it clear enough.

1. For roms, you can choose the option of having rom memory like Batocera system. Of course, it’s better to include samba, so that users can make simple settings and use it without editing the files or scripts of emuelec system.

2. Simulation core, I mean that after copying the simulation core you need, you can directly use it in the emuelec system, instead of editing the file in the emuelec system.

It would be cool if we can integrate Retroarch’s Netplay into Emulation Station. I think I can make modifications to the remote lobby server so the game name along with it’s crc show in an xml file. Then we parse that xml file and perform a search on the games keywords so it will show up on a list if it matches.
Bit of work involved but I think I may be able to pull it off. When I get some decent free time I will look at implementing it.

Looks like the xml feed is already done and working:
http://lobby.libretro.com/list

Now only the ES side has to be coded. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Langerz82 am not sure why you don’t know this (it’s a huge feature that is very easy to find), but this is already implemented.

emuelec-emulationstation/GuiMenu.cpp at EmuELEC · EmuELEC/emuelec-emulationstation (github.com)

No, I mean actually have a playlist that shows up and matches the available games you have with the games that are online, and selecting them launches retroarch, correct game and emulator.

@EmuELEC Haha my bad, I never selected that part I thought it just enables/disables the feature and wasnt fully integrated. Great news!! Thanks.

That is exactly how it works (for the most part) please test it first. You can browse the lobby and run the game with the correct emulator and rom as they have bee checked via shasum.

Haha I cant believe I totally missed the feature. I’ll give it a crack. Do the available host games show up in a seperate playlist? Guess I’ll find out soon it’s doing the CRC’s atm.

Answer: With netplay enabled in the Systems navigation display, you can press (x) North Button to show available games.

To have system volume and music volume in kiosk mode would be good